Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Great Depression Cooking?

    "One very important aspect of motivation is the willingness to stop and look at things that no one else has bothered to look at. The simple process of focusing on things that are normally taken for granted is a powerful source of creativity." - Edward De Bono



    Alright, a meaningful post! Woot!

    I was browsing YouTube as I usually do, and found this cute little old lady named Clara.
    Clara is a 93 year old grandmother who grew up in the Great Depression. I'm guessing one of her younger relatives helped make her YouTube channel (see here : DepressionCooking with Clara ) and all she does is make little meals with stuff they used during that era, and she tells stories, too :)

    Of course, I went and read some of the comments, and it pleases me to see the reactions of the people watching her, especially the younger kids.

    As one of the watchers said, "My God, when I'm her age (if the Lord lets me live that long) my biggest complaint from when I was younger was that the power went out on my PlayStation and I didn't get to save before hand! LOL This wonderful woman really puts things in perspective and makes me appreciate how easy my life is..."

    And this is true. I'm not saying that no kid from my generation had a shitty life. I don't know what you went through, and if you're childhood did suck balls, I'm sorry (mine kind of did, too). However, most kids now, at least the ones younger than 18, take so much for granted. Or they at least don't appreciate things as much as they should.

    Another comment I read from a watcher said, "My mother's mother used to give her a baked potato when she went to school to keep her hands warm, and as something for lunch."

    No one does that now. We have gloves, heaters, public transportation (while crowded, still warmer than walking). Hell, where I live it barely even gets that cold! And schools have heaters, too, and hot lunches.

    I've watched a few of the videos, and everything she makes is with little scraps and random things around the house, and makes a full meal out of it! I go to look in the refrigerator (which Clara didn't have, they had snow) and unless there's something I can stick in the microwave, there's nothing to eat. Ever. I have definitely gotten lazy over the years, from making meals from scraps, to settling with pre-made processed microwavable food.

    How lame is that?

    Not that we shouldn't take advantage of these, they're there, might as well buy them since they're not going to go away anytime soon, but look at all of the things you can make just with the few things in your pantry!

    I've got a challenge for you. (Oh wow, haven't done this in forever!) I want you guys to watch some of Clara's videos, and then go makes one of those dishes yourselves. Just with what you have in your kitchen. You're not allowed to go buy anything. Fix them up how you'd like, you can do that though :)

    Tell me what you made (or are going to make) in the comments, along with any other scrap dishes you've made yourselves on your own. This should be fun :)

    Here's a few of my own that I currently remember :
    - Tortilla, lunch meat (bologna, ham, turkey, whatever you like/have) and preferred condiments and cheese. (I ran out of bread :3 )
    - Sunny side up eggs, ripped up pieces of bread in a bowl, desired seasonings. Very messy, by the way.
    - Cut up tomato and cucumber, sour cream, salt and pepper. Mix, SO yummy!
    - Thousand Island dressing mixed with some mayo makes for a really good sammich dressing, too.

    Mixing anything with eggs is pretty good, too. Can't really go wrong with eggs.
    So go! Off to the kitchen with you!


    (Oh, and something completely off topic - the music page is starting to get a good amount of links, it doesn't look bare and lonely anymore. Go check it out :D )

Total Pageviews